Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Framing Stories with Hope

by Nancy Gordon, Director California Lutheran Homes and Sunny View Centers for Spirituality and Aging, a Front Porch Partner

Since I started serving in the older adult world, I’ve had many elders tell me that growing old is a difficult process. As the saying goes, “It’s not for sissies.” They are often a bit bemused that they’ve lived so long and are sometimes unsure how to frame the future. What does hope look like at 90?

I’ve been thinking that as the losses mount up as we age that there needs to be room for lament. So often we tell ourselves and the elders we work with to “be positive!” It’s good to have a positive attitude, but it’s also good, I think, to be able to name what has been lost and to take some time to lament the loss of something that is precious. I’ve sometimes wondered if the elders we tend to label as “complainers” might end up that way because their important losses weren't validated and noted.

Read article in full at: California Lutheran Homes and Sunny View Centers for Spirituality and Aging

No comments:

Post a Comment